Wednesday, April 25, 2007

First drawing class

Foundational Drawing class:

This class only uses charcoal, which I've never really done before. It was intimidating at first, not only because of the new medium, which I feel is not an easy one...but also because I'm side-by-side with the younger, fresher, better artists in my class...who've had a lot more recent practice than me. I haven't drawn in YEARS! And never in a class like this either (or life drawing). It took some time to warm up and I'm still not fast enough (or good enough, in my opinion). But I know it takes time and practice and I've risen up to the occasion as best as I can, considering the circumstances and working p/t while going to school f/t. Good thing too is that I'm definitely not the worst, yet also not the very best in the class.

Note:
None of the attached exercises are completed or perfected, so please keep that in mind. I'm pretty much aware of what needs to be worked on. Also due to the nature of charcoal, some may have smeared during transit to and from class. These drawings below were mainly exercises in class, which I photographed with my digital camera. These are in the order they were done, starting from the beginning of class (early February) for this Spring 2007 semester (my first semester back at college). This is not meant to be a portfolio.

Shapes and values study:




Single object still life:
Drapery study:
Torso study:
Live model quick sketches (10, 20, and 30 mins.):

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These drawings are evidence that you have not lost your natural talents. After a long span of time away from putting the pencil to paper, they are actually very good drawings. It's not easy to NOT compare yourself to your other classmates, but realize that you will hone your skills in YOUR OWN TIME.