Monday, October 22, 2007

Sculpture 1-skull

This is Sculpture 1, my first studio class beyond the Foundations Department. This is the Fine Art department! Woo hoo! :) I'm in the Fall 2007 semester, and it's a great class. There's a great small group to work with, who are all really cool and hang out together for lunch (and the instructor is great too). For the first time in my studio classes (since this is no longer Foundations, where it's mainly about technique and getting it right), I am able to have creative and stylistic freedom. Therefore, while I'm learning the different types of sculpture, materials, and tools, I get to explore my personal style.

The first project was to make a large skull (looking at a normal sized skull model) out of clay...then alter it somehow. It will be fired and later painted at the end of the semester. The final results will be posted at a later date. I think I spent about 20 hours or so on him, so far. More to come. Here are the progress photos in order...


sculpting done...notice the size of the skull now that you have a person next to it for comparison. talk about a big head!

No comments: