Saturday, September 13, 2008

Breaking Free (Jewelry series) & Spring Show '08

To explain my jewelry series concept...

“Breaking Free”

From personal experience, as well as a subject that most people can associate with, this is a jewelry project (my first) based on the concept of “Breaking Free.” For symbols, I used the common objects: lock and key, ball & chain, and jail/prison. These are to represent freedom on many levels. Such as letting loose of the past - personal or generational; starting on a new and improved life; spiritually being set free; awakening to a new self; and other deep meanings associated with freedom and the symbols of being held down in the past.


For this conceptual project, I wanted to create work that says something about me or my interests, which would have a strong message. This subject matter is inspirational, which I hope to achieve through strong and bold pieces that will convey strength, power, and to overcome…which will can be worn together as a unit, using mixed media.

There are 5 necklaces of different lengths, which can be worn separately or mixed/matched and worn together. Each of the individual necklaces are named, as they fall into sequence from the top layer to the bottom, 1. “Escape” (having a magnet & antique key), 2. “Jail” (having bars), 3. “Ball ‘n Chain” (having abstract balls and chains), 4. “Flight” (having an abstract feather-like attachment), and 5. “Time” (with attached weathered chain, lock, and antique key). The earrings are also "Ball 'n Chain," carrying on the same pattern as the necklace of the same name. All the metal was darkened to give an old-fashioned, worn, dark appearance. The photos may not be accurate in color.

This subject is personal and important to me since it was a major and difficult turning point in my life. I was imprisoned by ideas, functions, and a way of life that was not from my heart, yet had the key the entire time (“Capture” bracelet). It was a long and hard time of feeling caged-in my mind and my life (“Jail” necklace), and I had a difficult time of figuring things out as I tried to search, which felt long, hard, and tedious (“Ball ‘n Chain” necklace). This eventually led me to search out art schools and realize my passion for going after it (“Escape” necklace). After visiting the Bay Area I was drawn to it and quickly decided to move here and pursue an art education/career (“Flight” necklace). After starting here, I realized how much creative energy I have stored for all these years past and it’s now time to let it start to flow and discover what’s inside me. Like finding an old treasure chest buried at the bottom of the deep sea (“Time” necklace).


Inspirational images I found:




Top to bottom: Escape, Jail, Ball 'n Chain, Flight, and Time. I made and soldered all of the chain links on Escape, Flight, and Time. I also made hook closures on the 3 shorter necklaces that have them. Each are unique to the style of the necklace. This was my first time doing these things except for one practice bezel, practice hollow forms (cylinder and sphere), and practice jump rings (chain links). There were a lot of challenges, mistakes, and changes along the way, but I worked it out as best as I could. The results aren't too shabby though, I must say!



Close up of the necklaces:

Below is a close up of the top/shortest necklace called "Escape". The backside of the magnet bezel (photo below) is of an image I drew, cut out, and rolled onto the metal. It is a cartoon-like break-through or "Pow!", "Bang!" symbol seen in the comics like Batman. This necklace is made of Sterling Silver, a magnet, and antique key. I handmade/soldered the chain links and the hook closure as well.
Close up of the magnet sticking to the authentic metal antique key:
Below is a close up of "Ball 'n Chain" necklace. This necklace is made of Sterling Silver, used a thin/delicate chain, created the Ball 'n Chain charms, and the matching hook closure:
There are also little ball 'n chain 'doohickees' on the chain - see below.
You can also see some of the "Jail" necklace in this photo, which is also in the photos further above. I used Sterling Silver tubing, silver beads, and stainless steel cable to create it.:
Close up of the feather like design on "Flight". For this presentation with the other necklaces, I placed the position of the feather to the side. But, since this is a long necklace, there isn't a clasp and it can be worn in any position. If worn alone, it looks great in the center and can be pulled and held with a hook clasp in the back to appear shorter. The rainbow colors are also from the patina. There is a lot of action as the wires move softly and shift the form. On this one also, I created the delicate chain links by hand and soldered them. There were many casualty links that didn't make it, since they melted or got ruined in soldering them. It is very difficult to control and solder such a thin wire and my instructor didn't think it could be done at first. It took a lot of patience.

The longest necklace is "Time". This is a heavier chain than all the others due to the thickness and length. I handmade and soldered the Nickel wire links and created the hollow lock out of copper. The key is an authentic antique key, and actually fits into the hole I cut out in the lock - which I didn't even measure! I tried it later on, and it just happened to fit.
Due to the length of the necklace, there isn't a clasp and can be worn in any position. It can also be worn diagonally across the body, as a belt, or doubled up as a 2-layered necklace. Due to the materials and weight, I like the sound this one makes and the substantial feeling it has.



For the back, I used a decorative metal ring with horseshoe and keyhole charms on a chain (found object) to attach the 3 necklaces containing hook closures. It forms a unique look from the rear with charms hanging down the back. It can also pull the necklaces up on the front, and down further on the back.

I was able to make my first pair of earrings (including the ear wire hooks) to add to the series. I had extra pieces from the Ball 'n Chain necklace, so made earrings along the same lines. They are Sterling Silver, dangle nicely, wear well, and can be worn with any of the necklaces. I will continue to add to the series by adding more earrings, that go along with the designs of the different necklaces.

To continue my series called “Breaking Free” of a 5 layered necklace and matching earrings, I am created a cuff bracelet as a part of the series. I chose to make the design of a “slave” medieval type bracelet, as it is not only a strong piece by it stretching over the hand from the wrist to fingers, but this style is hardly seen today. Also, its statement goes along with my theme.


Medieval looking or chain maile bracelets I’ve seen don’t necessarily have a cuff at the wrist, instead having more chains or a thin bangle. However, I chose a cuff due to its strong appearance (i.e. Wonder Woman, Gladiators), ease of wearing (putting on/taking off), and relating to the theme – because it looks more secure, like cuffs used in ancient times for prisoners (and the powerful appearance of so much solid metal on the skin). The chains over the hand to the finger add to the appearance, as chains are used to hold people, animals, and things down and secured.


The 4 different roses, which I sculpted using wax before casting, adds a few symbolic elements, 1) personalizes it 2) adds femininity, beauty, and hope – since they are in bloom and 3) symbolizes passion and love. The red Garnet gem in the cuff’s bezel is a dark red and almost looks black unless light is reflected to see a glimmer of deep red. It symbolizes the red of the roses, the blood, sweat, and tears I’ve endured, and the passion of my heart. I am calling this piece “Captured.”


Here it is when I was working on it. It is made with Nickel, Sterling Silver, leather cord, found object (real antique key), Fine Silver, Garnet, and Patina for darkening/color.


Close up of the 4 different roses cast in Sterling Silver (sculpted in wax first):
Final cuff bracelet. The leather cord ties underneath the wrist.:

Backside/underneath, where you can see the opening and leather cord stitching:
Close up, showing texture:

The series (5 necklaces, 1 pair earrings, and cuff bracelet) on display for Spring Show judging:
This photo shows how the cuff bracelet fits on the hand and wrist:

Lists of students whose work has been chosen to be in the Spring Show. My name is the second from bottom on the first page. Both things I entered got in (my jewelry series above and my Kuramonkey bronze sculpture). I would have entered a third piece (maximum was 3) of ceramic, but it wasn't ready yet due to kiln conjestion. Anyhow, when I saw my name and both piece #'s, I couldn't believe my eyes, jumped for joy, and had to contain myself! There was so much great talent to be chosen from, that I didn't want to have high hopes of getting in.:


My jewelry on display at the Spring Show 2008:

Metal Arts/Jewelry section of the Spring Show, close to the entrance. In this photo below, mine is the skinny dress from, looking straight ahead - between the plexiglass cube displays.

In the Spring Show photo below, you can see my Kuramonkey sculpture on display (bottom right), among the fine art. I made Kuramonkey in Sculpture 1. The staff would remind the students that Sculpture 1 (beginner) work doesn't get chosen for the show (or is very rare), since there is so much advanced work and limited space. I tried anyhow with Kuramonkey, and it was chosen. That felt great! I noticed that the name tag they made didn't say the class that it was made in.

At the opening reception, I received an award from my department!!! Best Emerging Artist - Spring Show 2008. In the photo below, I'm holding the beautiful bronze trophy (first trophy EVER!) next to my Kuramonkey sculpture. And I also got a "Scholarship" check made out to me, along with the award. When they called my name in front of the big crowd, I was in disbelief and it was an emotional moment for me. One of my teacher's (Patty) handed me the trophy, a hug, and said, "Are you surprised?" I said "Yes!". She said "Everyone likes your work, Tania." A photographer took our photo and I was in shock. I was excited to JUST be chosen for the Spring Show.

My bronze trophy up close:

Hope to get more awards in the future...!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award... your work is really beautiful. Still love that dominatrix cuff bracelet. ;)
-Jan S.