Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Bronze progress - dog/monkey

Finals are in full gear as the semester is quickly coming to an end...

This is exciting...I now have my dog/monkey wax sculpture progress photos below. I'm still working on it and am in the final bronze stages (see earlier postings for the wax and check back for later postings of the final stages!)...

hard shell over wax sculpture to prep for pouring bronze - after wax is melted out (I did not do this part myself):


my bronze sculpture as it came from the foundry (I didn't cast it myself) and before I work on it some more - final work to be seen in a later post. the surface is dull in these photos due to the sandblasting they did to remove the remaining pieces of hard shell. if polished, it looks like shiny light gold metal. if you look closely, you can see speckles of shimmer in the pix below. the discolorations/darkened areas on the dog side were from heat in the welding process to make minor repairs (fill holes and pits). they won't show later. by the way this weighs a shocking 14.5 lbs.!!! it was the heaviest piece of all the students who took this class this semester! it's very dense for a fairly small and hollowed out sculpture. without measuring it, i'd guess it's about 10 inches in length. i'll have to measure it and post it here!:



No comments: