Tuesday, December 4, 2007

myth clay sculpture

This project was based on any myth we want and whatever inspiration we get from it - to do a piece of our own idea out of clay. I decided my piece would be based on the idea of the Beauty Myth in current society. I had many ideas which I made quick sketches of, but this was the winner. Please note that my concept won't be fully realized until it is fired and painted. The paint will say it all! I'll leave that as a surprise. So, don't just take it as it appears.

In the meantime, here are some progress photos of my clay sculpture...a big piggy bank...all done by hand - with a cork and coin slot...yet that's not all - so check back later for more posts!

Funny that my instructor and other students/faculty are calling it the "Perfect Pig". But of course I see the flaws, being the perfectionist I can be - but will leave them for the human effect (1. handmade and 2. humanizes the piece as part of the concept). Besides there's just so many hours I can work on it with all the other assignments and finals I have going on!


while in progress:

top with coin slot

bottom with hole and cork
clay sculpture ready to dry and be fired:



my favorite part...(it brings me joy to look at the tail!)


No comments: